Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Freedom can destroy


Scripture Read: Romans 14:13-18 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.

Application: This passage has so much great teaching on liberty and the freedoms God has given to us. Yet, to have an honest approach to liberty we must face the warning that is plainly stated here. We must ask ourselves the question … when it comes to my freedoms do I sound like Cain? “Am I my brother’s keeper?” According to God – YES! We are responsible to conduct our life in a way that will protect our brother if at all possible. The word “destroy” is not a light word to use:  

Destroy - ἀπόλλυμι apóllumi - To destroy, cause to perish, Spoken of eternal death, To lose, be deprived of, Spoken of those who wander away and are lost [1]

This is a much stronger word than I had anticipated. I was sure that this was a mild form of the idea of destroy – but it is not – it is the word used to mean that terrible end or loss. God views the destruction of my brother’s conscience as a pretty serious offence. This is serious because we are messing with the eternal investment of my brother. If how we live in front of our brother causes him to fall in his walk and lose some of his eternal investment, God states that we will be held responsible for our part in that. This really should be a slap in our arrogant face when we cling to our liberty as a RIGHT and think less of the weaker brother because his faith does not give him that freedom. “He’s just hung up” we say, forgetting that God is the One that gives each of us different freedoms in our conscience. The scriptures detest legalism and gave no honor to the Pharisees, but we should be troubled just as much by Believers that – with almost a rebellious tinge – brag about their freedom and flaunt it in front of all. This should not be. We are to prefer each other OVER our rights. Lord help us to manage ourselves only and not look at everyone else – that is not our job. We really need your help Lord in this. Thanks!

* Meditation Questions: When was the last time I re-evaluated the liberties I have? Do I give my freedoms to myself? If someone states a liberty issue I can enjoy is wrong how do I react? What does that show? If I know what I am doing is no sin but might be hurting people watching me what do I do? Why?



[1] Zodhiates, S. (2000). The complete word study dictionary : New Testament (electronic ed.). Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment