Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Heart of the Matter


Scripture Read: Proverbs 16:1-9 The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.  [2] All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the LORD weighs the motives.  [3] Commit your works to the LORD, And your plans will be established.  [4] The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil. [5] Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; Assuredly, he will not be unpunished.  [6] By loving kindness and truth iniquity is atoned for,  And by the fear of the LORD one keeps away from evil.  [7] When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. [8] Better is a little with righteousness   Than great income with injustice.  [9] The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps. 

Application: This is a scary thought for me. Knowing I have a Jer 17:9 heart, how do I know what my true motive is? I understand that we always see our self as being right, how to I know if my motive is pure or not. When I become defensive and I am shown that I am wrong – that is easy to identify, but how about those things that are not clearly evil. I want to be successful in ministry – but why? How do I know it is not an ego feed? I want my kids to do well, why? For me or for them? I want to make love to my wife, why? For my pleasure or hers? I believe the only way to deal with this is to begin right here – always remembering that my heart is as the Word describes it. From there I must see that this is one of the reasons a moment to moment walk with the Lord is so important – only the Spirit can illuminate the truth to me. That’s why Paul stated he judged nothing – not even himself – I need to let the Spirit keep me accountable. I guess I really don’t trust my feelings in this Lord. Holy Spirit, please continue to weigh my heart and illuminate me to the truth. I don’t want to live a fake life. I want to be real, yet in some ways I fear the pain that comes with that. It is difficult to have the light of Your Spirit show me what the real man in the mirror is thinking! Still – after I face it – You are always there to hug me and show me how to change it! Thanks Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment