Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Word of Light


Scripture Read:  John 1:24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. 25 They asked him, and said to him, “Why then are you baptizing, if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” 26 John answered them saying, “I baptize in water, but among you stands One whom you do not know. 27 “It is He who comes after me, the thong of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.” 28 These things took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing. 29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 “This is He on behalf of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’ 31 “I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.” 32 John testified saying, “I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. 33 “I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’

Application:  There is so much here to say. Not only is that statement of John’s that affirms Christ existed before he did – remember John was conceived months before Jesus. There is also the question of whether they knew each other as they grew up – they were cousins. But what really speaks to me Lord is – even if they had met before – John did not recognize the Lord. The two statements here are a beautiful picture of Your grace and enlightenment. You place us where we should be so that we can recognize the light, and You make it clear how we can recognize Your Truth. John, by baptizing would be confronted with the Light of Christ, and then You even make it clear how he can know for sure. I see the same principles in my life. All that I went through was to prepare me to recognize Your light. Then through Your vessels and Your word you help me clearly understand Your Truth. My wife dropped one of her college classes just when I did. That placed her in the lounge at the same time I was there. I was able to share Your Word with her and she responded. Then as we both studied Your Word we grew toward You and each other. You have made recognizing Your light so easy on us by Your Word. Help me Oh God to stay in Your Word all my days that I might always see Your Truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment