Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Inside – Out


Scripture Read: Colossians   3 1. Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4  When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. 5. Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6  Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7  You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9  Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10  and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11  Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

Application
This is an interesting text. Here after listing a lot of the sins we need to rid ourselves from Paul gives us the real method. Take off and put on. But he goes even further and shows how the new self gains it’s power – “which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.  This is where I fall into trouble. If the new man is to succeed he must be renewed. The only way for that to happen is if I keep feeding knowledge of my Creator in. This happens through the Word and Communion with Him. Why do I keep trying to change my insides from without? I need to re-examine my habits of word and communion. If I do not keep a steady flow of knowledge about Him, I will never see the new man really live in victory. God help me to meditate on this all day.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Maybe YOU are trying to do what JESUS does for us by the Free Gift of Grace. You Know! Put on the Lord Jesus Christ. Let go and let God. I am the Righteousness of Christ in me. Not my works, but His Grace! I am healed by the Blood of his Testimony. Not by my power, not by my might, but by His Spirit! Jesus keep working in me. Amen.
    In Jesus, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - but let go and let God is not honest - yielding takes sweat - even Paul compared it to an athlete and a soldier - we do the flock no favor if we try to make it sound like it is easy to submit - All the work is His - but He made it that we participate - The struggle we have is not with flesh and blood - but our battle is with that spiritual foe we call the flesh and his favorite friend - The false seducer - so the work is not mine - but to live in the victory of Christ is still against the current of the flesh. I cannot attain this thru my own power - that was my point - but a simple phrase "let go and let God" does not communicate the battle - that phrase is from man - not the scripture - it may sound good but falls way short of truth - I buffet my body; run in such a way as to win; I press forward; I have fought the good fight, I have kept the faith - these are scripture - let go and let God is from televangelism and that is where it belongs. the line is a fine one and that is what I want the flock to see - The work is His and I cannot attain what needs to be attained thru the power of my flesh - yet - by faith - which includes sweat - I must yield to Him and give Him freedom to manifest His victory in me! That's why my continued growth in the knowledge of Him is so essential - that produces the faith I need to yield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, being able to discuss these points! Anyone else care to comment? I look forward to visiting your site, Nate! Abundant Blessings!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bill - I do thank God for technology - though when it does not work it moves from one of the greatest blessings to one of the greatest curses :) Thanks for your comments - You are correct that it is all Christ's works - it is the putting on that takes effort - I know what you mean by Let go and let God - it is just that so many folks I have counseled seem to think that means we do nothing - they don't seem to understand that yielding is more difficult than working.

    ReplyDelete