Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Best Measuring Rod!


Scripture Read: Colossians 3:13  Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Application: This creates a very clear measurement I can use to decide what my thoughts and actions should be. I realize it gets sticky in areas of liberty – video games, movies, amusement parks, etc. – but I am still obligated to try. This helps a lot with the big issues. I do need to struggle very much if I am honest. By checking if Christ would act, think or say something it makes it rather easy on the weightier issues of life. As far as the liberty areas – this still brings the best balance to these things. I must take the time to measure what I am doing and that gives the Holy Spirit time to help me evaluate my actions and motives. Help me Lord to be honest enough to do all things in light of the name I am using to represent what I am doing. Thank you for your guidance to me oh Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Pastor Nate, just wanted to ask something. Why are there preachings that implies that we as believers all we have to be doing is Church work, not that church work isn't fun and i know that everything we do must be for the Glory of God.

    It just seems that it's leaning towards legalism isn't it? Are we not allowed to have fun and merry making times? Can we still enjoy recreations and still give glory to God even if we're enjoying earthly stuff like watching movies, concerts and go to theme parks?? sorry if i'm not making any sense at all. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay Jay I think your point is absolutely correct - many times the communication is that only when it is directly connected to "a ministry" can it glorify God. Here is what I did to change that kind of thinking, to disallow false guilt trips by others and I believe to be in tune to what God desires. My ministry is "LIFE" That means whatever I am doing I try to consciously make sure it glorifies God - In other words God wants me to use my sense of humor - I just make sure that the movie I watch would not shame Him. If I take leisure time I do my best to make sure that I could have Jesus standing right next to me. Whether it be the next wave I body surf on or the ride I take at Disney Land. God wants us to live life - all of it - without sin - and if we are really connected to Him we never lose the fact that we can help those that don't know Him. I am serious - but that includes in everything - serious when I study and serious when I play. Hope this helps. - Nate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. Sometimes it becomes very confusing that it seems God is such a "KILLJOY" and i feel that it contradicts what the He said "...That you might have life and life abundant." Thanks again. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete