Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

What overcomes you?


Scripture Read: 2 Peter 2:17- 19 These are springs without water, and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved. [18] For speaking out arrogant words of vanity they entice by fleshly desires, by sensuality, those who barely escape from the ones who live in error, [19] promising them freedom while they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by what a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved.

Application: Overcome - ἑσσόομαι, ἡττάομαι hessoomai, hēttaomai: 1 to make less, inferior, to overcome. - to be made inferior; to overcome, worsted, to be conquered by one, forced to yield to one.  Enslaved – δουλόω douloō: Both terms are common from the time of Herodotus and the tragic dramatists and are found in the LXX, where καταδουλόω is to some extent a stronger form of δουλόω. The basic meaning is “to make a slave,” “to enslave.” The words are used either literally to denote absolute subjection or the loss of autonomy

This is where I need to lift my understanding of vice-sins. I like especially the use of “loss of autonomy” because in essence that is what happens. Jesus made me free from every sin and when I allow myself to be enslaved again I do lose that independence. The independence Christ gave me is –funny as this sounds – completely dependent on my connection to Him. The minute I try and live my life in the power of the flesh I can very quickly move back into a life of sin. Father as I live dependent on You each day I pray that my life will be freed from all vice sin. No consistent same sin in my life, I believe you can make this possible. Help me Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment