Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas...Observing it is good…Appreciating it is better!


As we close our thoughts on Christmas this year let's remember what we considered. We looked at the unwilling heart and the dangers that it brings. We examined the seeking heart and the doors of opportunity that it opens. Then we looked at the believing heart, the strong foundation that it brings to life. In the midst of terrible times the faith we have in Christ will be the difference of how we handle those times.

Consider Paul:

2 Timothy 1:12  For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.

As a last thought before we move back to Proverbs and Judges, let's consider the “meditative” heart. Mary took the things that were said about Jesus and kept them in her heart.

Luke 2:16–20 So they came in a hurry and found their way to Mary and Joseph, and the baby as He lay in the manger. When they had seen this, they made known the statement which had been told them about this Child. And all who heard it wondered at the things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart.  The shepherds went back, glorifying and praising God for all that they had heard and seen, just as had been told them.

Luke 2:49–52 And He said to them, “Why is it that you were looking for Me? Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house?” But they did not understand the statement which He had made to them. And He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and He continued in subjection to them; and His mother treasured all these things in her heart. And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

The meditative heart has a great hunger for truth. Mary believed God, yet still had a hunger to not just understand the obvious, but she desired to consider the deeper truths that God is communicating. The meditative heart will squeeze all the truth and wisdom out of a situation. What does it mean to meditate?

It simply means to Ponder, Rethink something.

The example often used is how a cow eats. She chews food, swallows it, starts to digest it in her stomach and regurgitates it (returns it back to her mouth). She chews the same food again squeezing even more nutrients out of it and sends it back down to a different stomach. This is called “chewing the cud”. This is actually a very good picture of meditation. We receive truth, we believe it but then we ponder it. We bring it to the front of our thinking several times, rethinking it, trying to mentally “digest” all the meaning of the truth that we are experiencing.

Why is meditation important?

The issue is to acquire MORE than just knowledge. Meditation is the path to Wisdom.

Adrian Rogers said it well - "The difference between wisdom and knowledge is this: Knowledge is needed to pass the test in school, but wisdom is needed to pass the test in life. Knowledge is learned; wisdom is given. Knowledge comes by looking around; wisdom comes by looking up. Knowledge comes by study; wisdom comes by meditation with God. Wisdom teaches one how to apply His knowledge."

What can we learn about the meditative heart?

The Meditative Heart Understands:
1. The path to success – Finding God’s best!

Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

2. The path to esteem – What God thinks of me is the most important!

Psalm 119:23–24 Even though princes sit and talk against me, Your servant meditates on Your statutes. Your testimonies also are my delight; They are my counselors.

Psalm 119:78 May the arrogant be ashamed, for they subvert me with a lie; But I shall meditate on Your precepts.

3. The path to wisdom

Psalm 119:97–99 O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, For they are ever mine. I have more insight than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation.

4. The path to Strength 

Psalm 119:48–50 And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, Which I love; And I will meditate on Your statutes. Remember the word to Your servant, In which You have made me hope. This is my comfort in my affliction, That Your word has revived me.

Proverbs 24:5–6 A wise man is strong, And a man of knowledge increases power. For by wise guidance you will wage war, And in abundance of counselors there is victory.

Mary began her walk with Christ Pondering the things said about Him. She followed Him in His ministry, making no special claim to Him. She understood that with Jesus there was no personal son, just a personal Savior and Lord. Because Mary approached the Lord with a meditative heart she had the wisdom to understand the bigger picture. She also possessed the strength needed to endure the future of her Son, so much so that God aloud her to be at His death.

This year, let’s learn from Mary. Receive God’s Truth…believe it…but do even more. Meditate on it, allowing that time to produce the Wisdom God intends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment