Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Monday, September 16, 2024

Holiness is not a List!


Lately, I have been following a lot of discussions concerning believers and living holy. So much of the discussions are based on legalism, not “life” change. Due to that, I am writing this; it is too long, so I will break it into several parts. 

Many decades ago, in the Philippines, the Lord took me through an experience that cured me of legalism for life. I now have felt led to share a portion again. God desires to make us holy...true! However, God’s view is a "Life", not a list of "dos" and "don’ts". 

1 Peter 1:14–16…do not be conformed to the former lusts…but like the Holy One who called you…because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” NASB

1 Peter 1:14–16 Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires…but now you must be holy in everything you do…for the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.” NLT


“But Jun smoked!”  Yes, he did. Jun Pacudan smoked! He was born again and still smoked. He would walk out of the home where he had just led a Bible Study and light up a cigarette. Two months before he would light up while he was still inside the house. Before he was a believer, he would light up during the Bible study while I was teaching. Jun trusted Christ as his Savior during a study I was having with him. He had been a believer for just over 5 months - but he still smoked. Jun read most of the entire Bible in those 5 months - but he smoked. Jun went out and made contacts that led to the beginning of 4 new Bible Studies - which he asked if he could lead - but Jun smoked.

Every Tuesday I would meet with Jun to go over the lesson, which he had designed and desired to have me check out - but Jun smoked. Each lesson developed by this babe in Christ was in Tagalog and English (for my sake) with attached study notes that Jun had done using the Bible, concordance and one doctrine book I had bought for him, each guide was at least 7 pages long - but Jun smoked. Only twice in all the review did I have to help Jun understand a mistake in his lessons (both minor issues) while on such topics as Salvation, Virgin Birth, The Trinity, Sinlessness of Christ, Death - Resurrection - Ascension of Christ, Atonement and others not only was he completely scriptural but his applications were very insightful - but Jun smoked. 


The so what: Consider what God did through Jun’s life in the short five months he had to live in his new birth on this planet. If you or I saw him at a bible study smoking, what would we think? Is our “walk” a list or clear character change? 
Next, Devo, I will share Jun’s death, funeral, and the impact on his life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment