Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Fruit: Joy – Gratitude is determined by attitude!

Remember – “This spanking is going to hurt me more that it will hurt you” or “I know this shot the Dr is going to give you will hurt, but not as much as being sick will.” At a young age we did not believe that, yet as we grew older we began to understand that by focusing on the spanking or shot, it really hurt, but if we made our mind focus on something else, there was still pain, but not nearly as bad. Attitude makes a big difference! I learned from Mary Poppins, that “just a spoonful of sugar” can change our attitude. I practiced this with my children. After they had played and it was time to pick up all the toys, I made a game out of it and they never complained…in fact they worked harder!

Joy is an inward gladness not affected by outward sadness. Our attitude about life will impact that reality in a critical way. Joy allows us to understand ALL that God has given us…including the future…which produces a genuine gratitude toward life, no matter the circumstances. 

As we consider “Joy” let’s keep these questions before us: What will steal joy? When is joy produced most? What is the foundation of Joy?

What will steal joy? Unconfessed sin – Since we derive our joy by abiding in Christ, that requires us to deal with our sin. If we refuse to confess, then we cannot abide, which will cost us our joy.

A believer out of fellowship with the Lord will have a negative view of life. His approach to problems and even others will be directly affected by his broken fellowship. When we live like the world we will behave like them. Paul warns:

Philippians 2:14–17 Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain. But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all.

Where is joy produced the most? This is surprising, yet makes sense because our God is logical and practical. Realizing that the Lord wants us to live from conviction, not circumstance joy is produced most when we are in the toughest situations.

James 1:2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,

This word “consider” is ἡγέομαι hēgéomai – it is a compound word and used literally means: To be a leader, chief, generally only in the part, Spoken generally of those who have influence and authority. However, Metaphorically, to lead out before the mind, i.e., to view, regard, esteem, count, reckon. [1]

This is a conscious decision! You decide to focus on God and His involment in your life. The knowledge that He allows everything to happen, brings balance to that trial. Paul shares that this is a process that happens as we mature:

Philip. 4:11 Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Joy's Foundation: What is this joy based on? The end result! Consider:

Jesus as example:

Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.           

We need to keep the BIG picture before us!

Hebrews 12:11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Paul was able to praise God after being beaten and imprisoned!

Acts 16:25 But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them;

Even with continual suffering he was able to keep his joy.

2 Cor. 12:7-9 And because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me-- to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I entreated the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

No matter the reason or circumstance – Paul kept his eye on the BIG picture

Philip. 1:13-18 so that my imprisonment in the cause of Christ has become well known throughout the whole praetorian guard and to everyone else, and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear. Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes, and I will rejoice.

He saw that his imprisonment gave him opportunity to share Christ with his captors!

Philip. 4:22 All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar's household.

Paul always kept his focus on the end of the race.

Acts 20:22-24  "And now, behold, bound in spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, [23] except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me. [24] "But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.

He knew Who and what was waiting for him at the finish line!

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Another great example of how to deal with difficult times is Job, and he said it well.

Job 23:10 "But He knows the way I take; When He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

"Our values determine our evaluations. If we value comfort more than character, then trials will upset us. If we value material and physical more than spiritual, we will not be able to 'count it all joy.' If we live for the present and forget the future, then trials will make us bitter, not better" - Wiersbe

What is your approach to life? Temporal or eternal? Based on you and what’s happening to you, or based on Him? What matters most to you, your well being or God’s name?

Here’s how to remember JOY –      Jesus
            Over
            You





[1] Zodhiates, S. (2000). The complete word study dictionary: New Testament. Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment