Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Truth versus religion


Scripture Read: Galatians 1:11–24 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; 14 and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. 15 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. 18 Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother. 20 (Now in what I am writing to you, I assure you before God that I am not lying.) 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea which were in Christ; 23 but only, they kept hearing, “He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith which he once tried to destroy.” 24 And they were glorifying God because of me.

Application: What is the difference between Christianity and Churchianity? One is from God, the other is from man. How sad this reality is! When we attempt to set ourselves apart one of the outcomes is that we pursue the traditions of our culture more then the Truth of God – this is exactly what religions do. Sadder still are the religions of Christendom – for they have the Truth – the others have their sacred writings but they are from man to start with. “Churchianity” has the Truth of Christianity but they then take away, add or twist to fit their traditions and the Truth is made impotent. The Word itself remains omnipotent but the mess religion makes of it – by the time it gets to the people – it cannot create the change that only the Word of God can do through the power of the Holy Spirit. No wonder so many of these religions come up with there own “sacred” books – they must keep people away from the Word – for when they read or hear it the Holy Spirit can use it to attack that old heart and open it for God. How important is it then that we – who handle and teach the Word – be completely committed to teaching all that it is. So many today use it for there own purpose – especially to sell books.  Many stay just close enough to look good – but if we are true stewards we will see that they conveniently added or left something out – because it would not help sell their product. Lord we must allow You to convict us to always share the Word and the Word only as absolute Truth – all the rest is just opinion – right or wrong – it is only man’s tradition. Thank you for Your Word Lord. 

* Meditation Questions: What do you do when you are confronted by something in the Word that you don’t like? What do you do when you find a truth in the Word that contradicts something in the way you were brought up? How do you balance tradition vs. the Word of God? What does that show you?

No comments:

Post a Comment