Baptism at Singles Retreat - 147 Baptized!!!

*******************Baptism at Singles Retreat 147 Baptized!!! ***********************

* Sharing times in the Word and looking for growth. Let's Commune Together!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Being a priest because that’s what I am


Scripture Read: Romans 15:15-21 But I have written very boldly to you on some points so as to remind you again, because of the grace that was given me from God, 16 to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles, ministering as a priest the gospel of God, so that my offering of the Gentiles may become acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. 17 Therefore in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God. 18 For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, 19 in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. 20 And thus I aspired to preach the gospel, not where Christ was already named, so that I would not build on another man’s foundation; 21 but as it is written, “They who had no news of Him shall see, And they who have not heard shall understand.” 

Application: What do we think of when we hear the term “priest”? Many different visions may enter our head, yet there is for most of us one thought we have. A priest is a “special” worker for God. Wait! That is not what Peter made clear in his letters to us:

 1 Peter 2:5–9 (NASB95)  you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For this is contained in Scripture: “Behold, I lay in Zion a choice stone, a precious corner stone, And he who believes in Him will not be disappointed.” 7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, “The stone which the builders rejected, This became the very corner stone,” 8 and, “A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense”; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed. 9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light

God’s Word makes it clear that all of us are priests. Yes there are those that have this as a vocation also, but that does not change that in essence all children of God are priest. It is important then that we understand this word fully:

Priest -  ἱερουργέω hierourgéō; from hierourgós - sacrificing, which is from hierón - temple, and érgon - work. To perform or be employed in a sacred office. Only in Rom. 15:16, referring to the sacred business of preaching or administering the gospel. [1]

This is really great to ponder and consider all the ramifications. It does mean to perform as a priest, but looking at the compound of the root – I love the idea of the thought of the two words brought together. Work and Temple. So many ideas spring to mind; “A working temple”; “A temple that works”; “Being the temple means work”; “Working in a sacred work that pertains to the temple of God”. We could go on, but the important fact is that we must see what we do as something very important in God’s eyes because it is tied to His work and His temple. How many times do we think about what we do being so much about ourselves. “How I lead music?” “How I teach?” “How I greet people?”, or whatever we do in the Body of Christ. It should not be about us, but about Him. We should never forget that – we should always behave in such a way that we understand that everything we do testifies of Him. Lord help us in this endeavor.

* Meditation Questions: Do I believe others are closer to God than me because of their title? Do I ask Priests, Pastors or Missionaries to pray for me because I feel like they have more pull with God? Do I think there are times I am working for God and times I am “off the clock”? How integrated is my “work” life, my “leisure” life and my “church” life? What does that show?


[1] Zodhiates, S. (2000). The complete word study dictionary : New Testament (electronic ed.). Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment